Captain C's Medical Journal
Tuesday, May 09, 2006
Stuck in my mind


For this entry, I want everybody to understand that I am in no way demeaning the life that was given for this cause. I have the highest respect and honor for my fellow Soldier. I want to share with you some of the responsibility that we are faced with every day.

Have you ever been in a car accident and the only thing that you remember is the expression on somebody's face? Or have you had some near death experience and the one thing that stuck out most in your mind was probably the least important? Well, I want to share one of my experiences with you.

I remember back in the States when a recently deployed Soldier was trying to explain the types of trauma and care that I would be administering. Even as a CRNA, I was unable to comprehend the magnitude of the situation. So, if you have not experienced this type of care, there is no way that you will be able to appreciate the work that is given to save a life. So, please bear with me.

The other day I was treating a trauma, and unfortunately, it was an American Soldier. The story goes that this Soldier, along with his team, was driving down a road when an IED took out their vehicle. This Soldier had extensive injuries to include the following: internal abdominal bleeding, internal chest bleeding, extensive lacerations on three extremities, head laceration, and burns over 80% of his body.

The surgeon came running up the stairs and said, "I have to bring him right now! His abdomen is getting bigger as we speak." Usually, we have a few minutes to get everything set up, but I could tell that my little ways of doing things would have to be done some other time. So, as I was running to the OR I said, "Bring him on!"

Within minutes this Soldier was lying on the operating table and time was ticking away. The Soldier already had a tube in his lungs to help him breathe. However, we quickly secured an arterial line and central line. I called out for blood. I told them to bring me all the blood products that they had on this Soldier. Within seconds we had coolers full of packed red blood cells, fresh frozen plasma, platelets, factor VII, etc.

As fast as we could get the blood products into this Soldier, the faster the Soldier bled out. Without going into detail (out of respect), I will tell you what stuck out in my mind. I looked under the bed to check the Foley catheter that had been placed. When I went to empty it, I reached for a bottle that was lying there on the floor. I noticed something really different that caused me to stop and do a little tilt of the head. Then it hit me - the bottle was floating away from me. I reached out again and the bottle moved further from me. Then I realized that the bottle was floating in blood.

There is so much more to this story, but the internet is not the place to share it. However, I do want to say that this Soldier flew to Germany about 36 hours later. The last I heard he was still alive and improving (much to everyone's amazement)...............This morning I received the sad news that this Soldier did not make it. My heart and prayers will go out to his family and friends.
posted by Capt. C @ 9:27 AM  
8 Comments:
  • At 3:37 PM, Blogger G. said…

    C,

    That is a terrible thing to have to witness. I know that the day-in day-out relentless gauntlet starts to wear on even the best of Doctors & Nurses.
    And I know you man. You don't do anything halfway. You give it your all and when you're done you give a little more.
    I pray for you everyday. Everytime you cross my mind (which is frequent) I say a prayer. Not only for you but for your fellow medics as well.

    I pray for your strength to be renewed, your mind to be guarded, your hand to be steady and your will to be strong.

    Thank you for sharing these experiences with us.
    I can't wait to talk them over with you over a good game of raquet ball.

    God Bless.

     
  • At 3:24 AM, Blogger EXSENO said…

    I can only imagine, yet I know imagining doesn't even come close.
    I haven't been able to get you out of my thoughts and prayers since I heard that you were over there.

    You may have moved on but we have never forgotten you, you have been in our hearts all these year.
    Take care we love you.

     
  • At 9:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tom I understand all to well of what you just went through with this person....I deal with this all of the time in my line of work only different scenario's and different mechanism's of injuries...... you just have to stay strong and have a strong faith and belif in God and He will get you through this. Remember that your family and friends love you very much and that you are in our hearts and in our prayers. Take care of your self.

     
  • At 9:04 PM, Blogger Bren said…

    Tom I know you must be facing some tough times. I am sorry that this man died. I will pray for this family, also. I will keep you in prayer, too.

     
  • At 10:24 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Every time I read your blog I am once again proud to be an American. Our media is so full of negativity and character assasinations that I just find myself disgusted with Americans. We live in a "all about me" society and I look around me and want to scream for people to care about each other again.

    God Bless you and I am praying for you and all the soldiers and their families. Be safe.

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Cara said…

    That is so sad.. I will say a prayer for this brave soldier's family..
    I believe that it takes a very special person to do a job like you do.. And I know that if there were more people like you, the world would be a better, safer place to live!! Thanks for the story, Tom!! Take care!!:)

     
  • At 2:55 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    WOW...Tom, in the midst of tragedy, God is giving you insight beyond your years and experiences. Never waste that. To waste insight is as bad as wasting life itself. You make my life seem so trivial. Thanks for the perspective.

    I love you and am praying for you.

    Brandon

     
  • At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Tom, Thanks for sending me your blog address, I sat here tonite and read the whole thing, crying because my time is nearing. I joke that I "need to get away" and suprisingly, most people don't get it. It is a sick joke, but that's me. I appreciate your honesty, and you must stay true to yourself as you are doing. Some people asked me to keep a journal, maybe your buddy can hook me up too (with the blog thing, I am technically challenged). One thing I recently realized that NOBODY at home knows what we are facing, but EVERYONE at the hospital knows, it is like two worlds. I now feel so glad that I will see my ENTIRE family before I leave (like you did) I think I will share your site with my family, it is awesome. What can I say, but Hang in there, you will be fine, there is no other way. Tell Jenny to call if she needs ANYTHING, I will be around for a couple more months.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Capt. C
Home: El Paso, Texas, United States
About Me: I am happily married to the most wonderful lady in the world (Jenny). I have 3 children (Ariel, Benji and Nathaniel)that are just precious. I graduated from the US Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing. I am currently active duty in the US Army - at least for another 26 months. I live in El Paso, TX (can't wait to get out of here).
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER