Captain C's Medical Journal
Saturday, April 15, 2006
Do you believe in miracles?


I have worked in the medical field since 1991. I have seen a lot of amazing things during my time. However, nothing can compare to what I have seen in the third busiest trauma hospital in the world, located right here in Baghdad, Iraq. The trauma that we see here is nothing like in the States. There are no words or pictures that can allow you to appreciate the work that we do to save a life. I have never seen such devastation. Oh, by the way, I have only been here a week.

Even in the midst of the horror, I find moments that have to be from above. I was working the day shift, and we had case after case rolling through the doors. I was beginning to wonder if it was ever going to end. But, my next case was a U.S. Soldier. No matter how tired you are, when a U.S. Soldier comes through the door something inside gives you pride and strength.

This Soldier had been hit by an IED (improvised explosive device). I encourage you to look up IED's and see just how horrible those things are. As the Soldier is lying on the operating table, we get word that the Soldier's commander and friends are outside and would like to come and see him. Now, keep in mind, we are in the middle of surgery. The surgeon said that they need to put on the proper attire and then come in a few at a time.

As I watched the eyes of the young Soldiers walk through the operating doors and see their "brother" lying there on the table, my heart sank. I was wondering what was going through their mind. I was wondering if these brave and amazing Soldiers would be able to stand the site. As tears started to form in their eyes, one of the Soldiers reached in his back pocket and handed me a picture. This is what happened next....

The Soldier said, "Sir, can you give this picture to him when he wakes up? It is a picture of his family. He had it taped to the door of the Humvee. When the IED exploded, the fragments went through the door and hit him. However, if you look at the picture it was untouched."

I took the picture from the Soldier. I looked at the picture through my teary eyes and saw four young children standing by an American flag. I was thinking, "How could this picture (which was 5X7 photo) not be touched when an IED exploded a few feet from it?"

I know that some of you are thinking, "It's just a picture." But, until you wear the boots of Soldier and walk in their foot steps, you can't understand just how important a picture can be. When a Soldier says "Good-bye" to his/her family as he is getting ready to board the plane and leave for "X" amount of time, the picture becomes his family. That picture is all that he has for that time.

When the Soldier woke up, I handed him the untouched picture of his four children. When the Soldier looked at it, a transformation occurred on his face and with a soft, gentle voice he simply said, "Uhhhhh!" The look on his face stopped every person in the recovery room. For that moment, we all experienced the power of a picture. The miracle of family.
posted by Capt. C @ 1:59 AM  
5 Comments:
  • At 7:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm glad that he has that picture, man. I'm glad that he can still appreciate it. Hang in there, man.
    Tommy T

     
  • At 9:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I love that this one picture was untouched. I'm also glad you're somewhere ...where it's possible to get daily reminders that your job/reason why you're there ...is so important. It may make being there a little bit more tolerable. I hope you're getting some sleep!

     
  • At 12:21 AM, Blogger Bren said…

    God works in special ways. (even if it is in a picture)

     
  • At 12:36 AM, Blogger Bren said…

    Yes, I do believe in miracles.

     
  • At 8:13 PM, Blogger G. said…

    Amazing.
    Keep up the good work.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Capt. C
Home: El Paso, Texas, United States
About Me: I am happily married to the most wonderful lady in the world (Jenny). I have 3 children (Ariel, Benji and Nathaniel)that are just precious. I graduated from the US Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing. I am currently active duty in the US Army - at least for another 26 months. I live in El Paso, TX (can't wait to get out of here).
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER