Captain C's Medical Journal
Monday, February 06, 2006
How it all got started
First, I would like to thank one of my best friends of all time - Paul E. Gulledge for setting up this site. Anybody that knows me, knows that I couldn't ever do this on my own.

Now, I would like to tell you "how it all got started"

After graduating from high school - it was time to face the real world. What would I do? What would I become? I didn't have much money, but I knew that I wanted to go to college. I knew that I wanted to something in the medical field. I joined the National Guard to help pay for college. In the National Guard I trained to be a combat medic. That was my first exposure to the medical arena. However, I wanted more.

I went to the University of Arkansas at Monticello. I first started with a pre-med major (but got distracted) and switched to Nursing. I graduated from Nursing School in 1996. It did not take long before I realized that is was not what I wanted to do for the rest of my life. The work was hard, hours were long and the pay was horrible.

I started to look around at other options - to see where I could go with my life. I took a few more classes throughout the years, but really didn't know what to do. Well, as time moved on - I met the most wonderful person in the world (Jenny Mitcha). After a few years of asking her out and flirting with her, she finally said "Yes" to going out with me and eventually we got married.

Jenny was in the Air Force (pilot) and I was working as a nurse. Together we made a good living. Jenny wanted to be a mommy (a stay at home mommy) and I knew that I could never make enough as a nurse to raise a family. So, that is when I found out about the US Army program for Anesthesia. I knew it would be hard, I knew it would be challenging. But, it was something that I had to do.

To make a long story short - I graduated from the school. We had close to a 50% attrition rate, so I felt really blessed to be graduating at all. Now, I love doing anesthesia. It pays enough to raise a family. But, because I went through the military school, I am now being deployed....... This is the beginning of "Letters from C"
posted by Capt. C @ 2:34 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 5:35 PM, Blogger G. said…

    FIRST!

    I wanted to be the first to comment on your new blog. Congradulations on your graduation C.

    I look forward to reading about all your adventures on your 'long summer vacation.'

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    hey man!

    I've been in the mood for some sparing! Do ya think you could squeeze in a round or two with me when you are down? You can take your frustrations out on me or Paul...whomever you prefer (I'd go with Paul..ha ha).

    At any rate, I've been praying for you. God has a plan...here are some cool verses to read and think about (meditate on).

    Romans 8:28
    Jeremiah 29:11
    Psalm 116:1-2

    Thanks for serving our country. To be honest, I am humbled by you and our service men and women. You are going so I don't have to go. With that in mind, "Thanks" just doesn't quite cut it. I owe you my life because of all we've been through from Hamburg to present. Thanks for always having my back, and for letting me have the freedoms I enjoy. Rest assured, I don't take them for granted. If Jenny and the kids need ANYTHING, I am there. God bless! Love ya man!

    Brandon

     
  • At 6:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Good to hear from ya man. I really hope to see you before you take off.

    Rocky

     
  • At 9:31 AM, Blogger Cara said…

    TOM!! I'm so glad your blogging!! Sounds like your pretty busy, and won't have alot of time.... But beware... For me this is sooooo addicting!!

     
  • At 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Well, it's about time you graduated. Seems like it's been forever since you started school. Uh, I'm in Romania, so I didn't see you in Arkansas. I wish I could have seen yer kids and such. You can see some of my adventures in Romania here: www.tommythompsonjr.com
    Check me out. Take care, dude. You'll be groovy enough. Peace, man. It's the only way.
    ps: cool, my word verification is nizzah

     
  • At 7:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    As I prepare for my own marriage, I find myself brought to tears reading your entry on 86,400 seconds. Godspeed Tom Chenowith. We'll be holding you in our hearts and thoughts here at WBAMC.
    Laura

     
  • At 12:36 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Wow...you are STILL dong the military thing. And to think, we used to carpool to Lake Village for drill weekends. Glad to hear you tricked someone into marrying you. Good luck and stay safe. Maybe I will hear from you soon.

    eric.d.ricks@usdoj.gov (Jackson, MS)

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Capt. C
Home: El Paso, Texas, United States
About Me: I am happily married to the most wonderful lady in the world (Jenny). I have 3 children (Ariel, Benji and Nathaniel)that are just precious. I graduated from the US Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing. I am currently active duty in the US Army - at least for another 26 months. I live in El Paso, TX (can't wait to get out of here).
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER