Captain C's Medical Journal
Monday, March 20, 2006
86,400 Seconds



Imagine that everyday you were given $86,400 dollars. At the end of the day, what you didn't spend was gone. You could not borrow from the next day and you couldn't keep anything from the day before. What would you do?

In life, we are given 86,400 seconds per day. There is nothing that we can do to add to that day (no borrowing, no holding on from the day before) - nothing. All that you have is that 86,400 seconds. What you do with that time can be life changing or life wasting.

It wasn't until I started counting down my days before my deployment that made me realize just how precious each and every second really is. The value of time is invaluable. If you want to understand the value of a month - ask a mother that had a premature baby. If you want to understand the value of a week - ask a journalist. If you want to understand the value of a second - ask a person that has cheated death. If you want to understand the value of a millisecond - ask an Olympic runner that came in second. All of these are examples of invaluable time.

What is worth your time?

My wife and I have the best marriage I have ever seen. I love her with everything that I have. There is nothing in this world that I would not do for my wife. I love spending time with her more than anything. I never get tired of being with her (she may get tired of me).

Do you love spending time with your family? Do you fight? Complain? Have bad feelings toward them? If so, think about the 86,400 seconds that you were given today. Once this day is over, you may or may NOT get another 86,400 seconds. Don't waste your time on foolish things. Be nice and love each other - even if it means that you don't get your way.

I leave in a few days to go to a country that has no value for life. I will not be able to hold, touch, feel or be with my wife and children. There is a chance that I may not come back. I have often wondered if I have spent my 86,400 seconds loving my family the best way that I can. What about you?
posted by Capt. C @ 1:43 PM  
8 Comments:
  • At 3:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're definitely in my thoughts and prayers!! 150 soldiers just got back from Iraq (year tour), and I cried my EYES OUT watching it this morning on the news. All the guys had tears in their eyes as they grabbed their children (some for the first time ever) ...and then looked up at their wives. I still remember what that was like, and thinking about Ryan leaving for Iraq again this fall makes me want to vomit. Nice image, eh? Well anyway... I just hold onto the image/thought of what it felt like when he returned ....how much closer we became... and what it felt like to hug the person I love the most again! The time will hopefully go by fast for you! At first it feels like forever, but all the wives I've talk to agree that "in the end" (towards the middle/end) ...it doesn't feel like it's been a year (or 6 months).

     
  • At 3:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    It'll be an adventure with a purpose. You'll become a medical machine. Don't hang out with the bad crowds man. Don't forget that you can reboot and clear your head and bring yourself and thoughts back to what's real around you. Keep it real, man.
    Love Tommy

     
  • At 7:46 PM, Blogger G. said…

    C,

    rest assured that you have used your seconds to the fullest. For as long as I've known you, and that's a loooong time, you've aggressively and passionately pursued life to its fullest. Whether I've told you before or not, you have been a constant source of inspiration for me. I am proud to call you brother.

    I also don't take lightly the sacrifice you are making. You are going so someone else can stay. I know you would rather stay. There's lots of people that would. Most of the soldiers over there would tell you "I'd rather be home." But what seperates them from the rest is that even though they'd rather be someplace else, they know that they have a job to do and they do it. They sacrifice. Sacrifice. One of the key ingredients in love is sacrifice. Thank you C, for the sacrifice that you make. I love you more than you know. I just hope that I can live my life as full as you live yours.

    Know this...
    You could NEVER ask too much of me. It's virtually impossible. I dare you to try. It is my honor and privilage to be your friend & brother.

    When you get back. We're gonna make sure that we spend every second of everyday making the most of this life.

    Great post. Lots of love to you bro. You are always in my prayers. I'll see you when you get back.

     
  • At 8:26 PM, Blogger Capt. C said…

    G - you know that I feel the same about you. You are the man! The G Man! ha! See you soon my brother!

    Love ya,
    tlc

     
  • At 8:28 PM, Blogger Chris Streeter Davis said…

    Hi there, nice blog and wonderful post.
    Don't know if you remember me from school. But, I remember you coming to my elementary class and teaching spanish. How funny is that!! :)
    I will keep you and your family in my prayers.

     
  • At 8:46 PM, Blogger Bren said…

    That is so true.

     
  • At 5:52 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Thank you for this post. I will be praying for you and your family. God Bless.

     
  • At 7:33 AM, Blogger Cara said…

    What a wonderful post!! I now have mascara running down my neck... Tom and Paul!!
    I agree that we do need more elected officials to stand up for the people and not just their people!! It's like everything is about politics!!
    Just stay really busy while your gone (like you won't!!) and you'll be back with your wife and babies before you know it!! God bless you for what your doing for our country!! I'll be praying for you all!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Capt. C
Home: El Paso, Texas, United States
About Me: I am happily married to the most wonderful lady in the world (Jenny). I have 3 children (Ariel, Benji and Nathaniel)that are just precious. I graduated from the US Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing. I am currently active duty in the US Army - at least for another 26 months. I live in El Paso, TX (can't wait to get out of here).
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER