Captain C's Medical Journal
Friday, May 19, 2006
Step of Faith


I was looking through some pictures and I came across this one. It reminded me of a story that I would like to share with you.

We had just bought a new house in San Antonio. These birds chose our front porch to build their home, which made me very excited. Anybody that knows me, knows that I love animals. I watched these birds build their home out of mud and straw. Periodically, I would climb up the support beam and look into their nest. One day, I looked up there and saw four eggs lying there. I was so excited that we were going to have babies. A few days later when I looked up there, I saw another egg, making a total of five. Of course, my thought was "How are they going fit all of their babies in that nest?"


Once the babies hatched from their eggs, I continued to watch them mature. After a few weeks, it was now time to take flight. I stood there looking through the window of the front door watching this miracle of nature take place. The Mother bird flew to the front porch light and started chirping really loud. It was as if she was saying, "Come on! You can do it! I know you can! Just do it!" The Daddy bird was perched on the ledge a few feet away. After a couple of minutes, the first little bird was on the edge of the nest appearing to want to take that first step, but was just too afraid. So, the Mother bird intensified her cheering for her little baby.

After a few minutes, the Daddy bird flew over to the nest and nestled himself beside the baby that was getting ready to take flight. The Daddy bird then started chirping with the Mother in harmony. The baby appeared to be gaining more courage, but not enough to take that first step. With extreme love and compassion the Daddy bird worked himself behind the baby and gently nudged the baby out of the nest while the Mommy started chirping a different tone. It was if the Mother bird was saying, "Over here baby, you can do it! Come here." The baby was now out of the nest and was destine to take flight or fall to his death. Out of desperation, the baby spread his delicate wings and very spastically flew the five or six feet to the porch light by his Mother. I could see that the baby was breathing extremely fast from the fear of taking his first flight. The Mother and Daddy bird then changed their song again as if they were saying, "Way to go! We knew that you could do it!"

This event happened three more times. Each bird learning that they could take flight just like their sibling. Now, there was a fifth baby there that was a little slow in hatching. I was wondering how they could tell the babies apart since they all looked exactly alike, but the parents knew which one was a little delayed. After the fourth bird left the nest, the fifth bird (the slow one) stepped up to the edge. At that moment the Mommy bird flew to the nest and started chirping this very sweet sound. It was like she was saying, "Not yet! Your time to blossom will happen soon, but not right now." So, the baby bird stepped back into the nest.

There are times in our life when we need to sit back and wait. Then there are times that we need to take that step of faith. Even though the flight may be sporadic, we learn that we can fly.
posted by Capt. C @ 3:46 AM  
3 Comments:
  • At 8:56 AM, Blogger EXSENO said…

    That was beautiful Tom. No poet could have told that story any better. I loved it. You made a good point too.

     
  • At 5:35 PM, Blogger K.T. is Mommatude said…

    Reminds me of my own children I have three.One of mine delayed also.Beautiful story and wonderful way to explain things....

     
  • At 10:05 PM, Blogger Bren said…

    Tom,

    That is a really wonderful story. It is a true story of love.

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Capt. C
Home: El Paso, Texas, United States
About Me: I am happily married to the most wonderful lady in the world (Jenny). I have 3 children (Ariel, Benji and Nathaniel)that are just precious. I graduated from the US Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing. I am currently active duty in the US Army - at least for another 26 months. I live in El Paso, TX (can't wait to get out of here).
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER