Captain C's Medical Journal
Friday, June 02, 2006
Maybe it's Not the "white man"


What is leadership?

Is leadership defined by a race, sex, religion, or position? I tend to view this question from a different perspective. Allow me to express something that many people are afraid to say. Anybody that knows me, knows that I am not a prejudice guy. So, please do not take this entry as a racial division. I'm not politically correct either, because I believe that political correctness is one of the many down falls of our country. I believe you should call a "duck" a "duck."

The people of New Orleans just amaze me. Not in a "Wow! They are really heroic," but more in a "Are you kidding me!?" The warning of Katrina's arrival was given five days in advance. Two days before the hurricane did its destruction, the people of New Orleans were ordered by the Governor of Louisiana to evacuate. This was not a suggestion. This was the law.

The Mayor, Ray Nagin, had over 1000 buses at his disposal. He had the ability to have food, water and shelter readily available. And yet, he did nothing. He did not arrange, anticipate or enforce the evacuation of his people of New Orleans. In fact, the doors of the arena were still locked when the first group of people arrived for shelter.

So what did this incompetent leader do when imminent disaster occurs? He did the same thing that other poor leaders do - he blamed somebody else. In fact, he blamed the President of the United States for the hurricane. He tried to make it a racial platform by saying if they were white that the President would have done things differently.

There's so much corruption and bad leadership that the right solutions were being overlooked. Allow me to put a few things into perspective. People refused to leave because they knew that they would be victims of looting (Why? High crime already existed). When rescue boats were brought in, they were ordered to take the children first. We know the nightmare that created. These parents gave their children up, which is a totally different mindset all together. So many things went wrong that it would be easier to count what went right.

We have all heard about the outrageous amount of money that it will cost the tax paying citizens to rebuild New Orleans. The lowest amount that I have heard was $25 billion dollars. Do you realize how far $25 billion dollars can go if placed in the right hands? For an example, with $25 billion you can build 277,700 homes for the price of $90,000 dollar per home and still have $7 million dollars left over. You do the math - this is not rocket science.

(Here's the point of this entry) Last month, the people of New Orleans had the opportunity and responsibility to change their leadership and start a new future for their children. But what did the people of New Orleans do? They re-elected the same leader that failed them before. I have been told that he was elected because of his race. Since the people of New Orleans are predominately "chocolate"(Ray Nagin's words,I guess they wanted to have the same type of Mayor.

As a white man living in a very diverse world, I feel that much of the blame is passed on to me. I have heard (more times than I would like) that "It's the white man keeping us down." Well, as a caring white man I have tried to see the other side of the coin. However, when I see the representation of the black race, I can't help but think that maybe it's not me. People like Jesse Jackson and Ray Nagin are not the kind of people that should make you feel proud to be black. People that preach hatred and division are not the type of leaders that you need.

It has been said many times by the black race that "We must not forget our heritage." A true leader that I highly respect, the late Dr. King, never forgot his heritage, but he did look beyond to see a Dream!......Now, that's leadership!
posted by Capt. C @ 4:43 AM  
7 Comments:
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger G. said…

    ...and it's a hand off to Captain C! He's got the ball and he's running straight up the middle of the field. He hurdles the first defender - Oww! Gives a powerful stiff-arm to the next. Wait...a defender has him by the ankles! Bam! Snap! Ow! Did you see that...he couldn't hold on...took a heel to the head and he's helmet went flying! There's one more defender between C and the goalline. He's a big one...he doesn't seem to be moving. Their headed right toward each...POW!
    WOW HE JUST LEVELED HIM! TOUCHDOWN CAPTAIN C!
    That was amazing. C didn't cut any corners or dodge any blows...he just plowed right down the middle and SCORED!

    Sorry....I just really like football. You're right on target C. Stay straight.

     
  • At 9:01 AM, Blogger EXSENO said…

    No truer words where ever spoken. Well done Tom! If anyone takes offense at this post. They also have a problem. It's time for people to open their eyes and forget the word prejudice and start thinking about the greater good for everyone is the US. Black and white or we are all going to be in the same boat. Devistation do to corruption of our leaders.
    Both public and governmental.

     
  • At 7:34 PM, Blogger Bren said…

    AMEN!

     
  • At 2:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Cpt C,

    As a black man living in Mississippi - what you said is profound. I can see what you are saying. If I wrote that I agree I would probably be shuned from my people. But, there is a lot of truth in what you said.

    Live in Peace

    JB Jakes

     
  • At 11:08 AM, Blogger Unknown said…

    C,

    Good thoughts...you probably won't agree with this...but here is some food for thought.

    As someone who has spent some time in New Orleans (never lived there), I am somewhat familiar with the city and the people who live there. True, why Nagin was reelected I will never know. The one thing that did pop into my mind had to do with what you said about the evac. The people were given 5 days notice. But, please put yourself in their shoes for a minute. Most of the people in New Orleans who didn't get out were born there, grew up there, and had heard the spiel about the "big one" so many times, that they didn't believe it would really hit and didn't take it seriously. They made a mistake and I am not defending them. However, Kristi, who was a summer missionary there, told me that every one of the inner city kids that she came in contact with had NEVER left the city. That's all they knew. I think that it was a case of not leaving all they knew. I realize that it is not the federal government's main responsibility to impose its leadership on the local and state governments....however, the next time such a disaster is upon us, I believe that more stringent measures must be taken, and, as best as possible, there needs to be a mandatory evac of the area backed by the military. My opinion is that everyone goofed: Fema, the citizens of New Orleans who stayed behind, and ESPECIALLY the Mayor of N.O.

    I have been praying for ya...hang in there...watch your back. Love ya man!

    B

     
  • At 3:42 PM, Blogger Cara said…

    Well said!! Stay kewl!! And honest, and safe!!

     
  • At 8:37 PM, Blogger Unknown said…

    Very Well Said Amen!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Capt. C
Home: El Paso, Texas, United States
About Me: I am happily married to the most wonderful lady in the world (Jenny). I have 3 children (Ariel, Benji and Nathaniel)that are just precious. I graduated from the US Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing. I am currently active duty in the US Army - at least for another 26 months. I live in El Paso, TX (can't wait to get out of here).
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER