Captain C's Medical Journal
Monday, October 09, 2006
I'm Home!
If you have read all of my blogs, then you may recall one in which I speak about one of the most wonderful sounds in the world - a child's laugh. Well, coming in a very close second is the wonderful, deafening sound of silence. That is what I woke up to this morning around 0430 in my very own bed (with wife, child and dogs in there with me). No helicopters buzzing my room, no mortars exploding outside my window, no machinegun firing and no body yelling "We have 15 coming in to EMT!!" NOTHING - just silence.

On deployments, people may share the same situation but have a very different experience. There are things that I can't talk about. There are things that I won't talk about. And then there are things that you just won't understand if I did talk about it. But something that I take with me is a little pride, a few stories, and a lot of memories that I wish I could forget. However, something that I don't have much of is regrets. I don't regret the hard, endless work that we did to save the life of a Soldier. I don't regret seeing Soldiers giving their own blood to save another. The gallant acts that I have witness can not be expressed with modern words. I do take pride with being a US Soldier. There is something that can be said about the dedication, allegiance, loyalty and love that a US Soldier has for another. There is something exceptional about a Soldier that makes him/her risk his own life for a complete stranger - just because of the uniform that is worn. What other business can say that?

I am home!! When my plane first landed on US soil (East Coast), I could hardly hold back the tears. The Captain of the plane got on the speaker and said, "Let me be the first to say welcome back home!" WOW! What powerful and yet simple words "Welcome back home." When I stepped off of the plane the sweet, cool, clean smell of the air was amazing. When I took the last step off the latter onto the ground I fell to my knees thanked God and then kissed it.

When my plane landed in El Paso, Texas I knew that I had a wife and two babies waiting on the other side. I was the second Soldier to be off the plane. There at the end of the stair case was a US band, US Soldiers and THE UNITED STATES FLAG!!! What a magnificent and glorious site. But, this is not what I wanted to see. I asked one of the greeters "Where is my family?" He pointed way over in the distant (about 1/4 to 1/2 a mile away) to a group of people and said, "They are over there." If you have ever been in the Military you will know that they are not big on family - but they are very big on formations, speeches, etc. However, I have to give it to our new commander - he chose NOT to do any of that. He actually understands that family comes first. He said "Go over there and see them." I quickly past the one person that was in front of me and then I heard "You can double time if you want." That was all I needed to know. I took off running. I ran like the wind. All I wanted to see was my wife and babies - and nothing was going to stop me.

As I was running all kinds of thoughts were going through my head. Like "What if my babies don't recognize me?" "What if I am running all this way and something came up and they are not here?" "What if...? What if...?" But then, I see my little baby girl standing out in front with a sign, Jenny standing right behind her with a sign in one hand and Baby Benji in the other. Now, this was what I NEEDED to see - my family. Seeing this caused me to run even faster. I felt like I was in one of those movies that the couple is running toward each other in slow motion. I felt like I couldn't get there fast enough. One of the family members there started video taping me running. As soon as I embraced Ariel - she started crying and turned it off. However, I hope to be getting a copy of this moment and share it with you.

WOW! What a reunion!! Life is GREAT now! I am really excited to be home. Ariel asked me, "Can you take me to Chucky Cheese?" So, guess where we will be going today! We will also be going to Disneyland here real soon. But, I am home - The Most Wonderful Place on Earth.
posted by Capt. C @ 5:00 AM  
9 Comments:
  • At 6:38 AM, Blogger EXSENO said…

    WELCOME HOME, TOM !

    I am so happy for you. It had been a while since you posted and I was getting a little worried. I know your family is ecstatic.

    Will you have to go back or is your tour over?

     
  • At 9:06 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome home, Tom. I shouldn't have read this blog at work, I almost started crying. All of us in Arkansas hope to see you soon.

    Rocky

     
  • At 10:00 AM, Blogger Cara said…

    WELCOME BACK HOME TOM!!!

    I'm glad that I'm not at work, cause I cried like a baby reading this heartwarming post!! It's wonderful to have you back on America's soil!!

    Now for some catching up play time with those precious babies!! I'm still praying for you!! Much love and respect!!

     
  • At 3:32 PM, Blogger G. said…

    Welcome home bro!

    At least I know I wasn't the only one who got all teary eyed.
    As soon as I can manage, we'll be making a trip to El Paso...the entertainment mecca.

    Love you man.

    G

     
  • At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    When you called yesterday I knew you were home when Paul answered the phone. The Dallas Cowboys lost their game yesterday but Paul was still happy. His brother's home! It's so good to hear that you are back.

    Hopefully we'll get to see you all soon. Haven talks about Unc;e Tom alot and wanting to see Ariel. Welcome home.

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Blogger Pamela said…

    Hey bro, when Paul called me and said you were back in the US, I cried. I am so happy that you are home with Jenn and the babies. We miss you sooo much. Hope to see you real soon.

    Love you lots,

    Pamela D.

     
  • At 7:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome Home Tom!

    Although this is my first post, I have been reading everything and veiwing your pics. I have also been keeping up through mom(Judy).
    Enjoy catching up with your family and friends. May God Bless you.

    Sis. Marcia

     
  • At 7:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Welcome home. We have been praying for you and your safe return. Your blog did choke me up. It makes me so proud to be your friend. God Bless
    and BTW
    Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!

    Brandon Brown

     
  • At 6:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hey! glad to hear you're back and safe. hope to see you soon. i really miss you guys over here in little rock. have fun with your family!

    kim

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Capt. C
Home: El Paso, Texas, United States
About Me: I am happily married to the most wonderful lady in the world (Jenny). I have 3 children (Ariel, Benji and Nathaniel)that are just precious. I graduated from the US Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing. I am currently active duty in the US Army - at least for another 26 months. I live in El Paso, TX (can't wait to get out of here).
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER