Captain C's Medical Journal
Sunday, July 22, 2007
Cinderella's Ball

I love being a Daddy. It is one of the most wonderful adventures a man can experience. But, when you are a Daddy to a Princess - life can take an entirely different direction.

Ariel (my daughter) is four years old and growing older every day. To her, I am the smartest and strongest man in the world. There is nothing that I can not do in her eyes. I am her everything. I am the man that she "is going to marry." In her beautiful, innocent eyes I can do nothing wrong because I am "DADDY!!!"

However, I know that in a few short years she will wake up and I will no longer be that wonderful man. One day she will be embarrassed that I am her Dad. I won't be able to do anything right and I will be the last person she would come to if she needed anything... this is the day that I fear and wish will never come. This will be one of my saddest and darkest days...

Ariel, like all little girls, loves to dress up like Disney Princesses. She loves to pretend that she is going to the ball to meet her "prince." Today, that happened!! Allow me to share this moment with you...

While Ariel was taking her nap, Jenny (my wife) and I moved all the furniture out of the family room. We blew up balloons and placed them all over the floor and walls. I got the 10 foot ladder out and hung ribbons from the ceiling fan down to the walls. We created a ball room.

I, very quietly, entered into Ariel's room and placed an innovation on her pillow that read, "Daddy wants to invite you to a Princess Ball in the family 22 July 2007." I hung her beautiful Cinderella's dress on her bed. When she woke up she saw the invitation and her dress. Jenny was in her room and told her that she was invited to Cinderella's Ball to dance with her Prince. She was so excited. She was jumping with joy.

She put her Cinderella dress on with a smile that could be seen from space. She places each little delicate foot into her very small glass slipper. Jenny helped her put her crown on her head and gloves on her hands. Then the announcement is summoned, "Lady's and Gentlemen Miss Ariel Grace Chenowith is now arriving at Cinderella's Ball!" As she walks down the hall that is filled with balloons, she hears the Cinderella's music being played. She steps into the "ball room" where she sees me standing there in a suit awaiting to request her hand for a dance.


She reaches up with her little gloved hand and places it so gently into mine. Then, she placed each little foot on top of mine and we danced!!! For a moment, the world stood still. There was no war, there was no anger, there were no heartaches – for a moment there was nothing but love, joy and peace. Oh how I wish this would never end. I wish that she would stay four forever. I wish that I will always be her hero. I wish, I wish... But, I know the clock will strike midnight and my little Princess will be gone. So, I will hold on to this "glass slipper" (memories) forever.
posted by Capt. C @ 7:18 PM  
7 Comments:
  • At 7:55 AM, Blogger EXSENO said…

    And she will hang on to this moment forever also.
    And the day you fear might never come, my Dad and I were best buds. From childhood, though the teen years and adulthood, tell the day he died.

     
  • At 7:57 AM, Blogger EXSENO said…

    Bye the way, I had tears in my eyes reading this post.
    Lovely, absolutely a Tom thing to do for his lady.

     
  • At 6:08 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 6:21 PM, Blogger Beth said…

    Tom

    One of my students directed me to your blog. With the whole "Captain C" deal, you can only imagine my surprise when I pulled up your blog! It's just amazing to me the hard work and sacrifice you've put forth for your beautiful family (and country). You're a good man.
    Thank you.

     
  • At 7:43 AM, Blogger EXSENO said…

    Tom,
    I heard that you were called back to duty is that true. I hope not. But if it is may God go with you. I'll be praying for you.
    We love you.

     
  • At 3:54 AM, Blogger EXSENO said…

    This comment has been removed by the author.

     
  • At 8:00 PM, Blogger Cara said…

    That has got to be the sweetest thing I've ever seen!! I love it! You will always be her daddy and no one will EVER fill your shoes!! She is a very special little girl!!

     
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
About Me

Name: Capt. C
Home: El Paso, Texas, United States
About Me: I am happily married to the most wonderful lady in the world (Jenny). I have 3 children (Ariel, Benji and Nathaniel)that are just precious. I graduated from the US Army Graduate Program in Anesthesia Nursing. I am currently active duty in the US Army - at least for another 26 months. I live in El Paso, TX (can't wait to get out of here).
See my complete profile
Previous Post
Archives
Links
Powered by

15n41n1

BLOGGER